I am NOT trying to rush Rylee's birth. I realize that reading my last post it kind of sounded that way, so I wanted to have a clarification post.
If you recall (or didn't know) before I was 31 weeks, I was having preterm contractions, went to labor & delivery at 31 weeks, Dr. Tran put me on restrictive bed rest and prescribed me Procardia. I was told to not do anything I didn't have to do, so for the next 5 weeks, I went to work and came home and rested.
At 35 weeks, I started my weekly appointments and cervical checks, I was 1cm dilated. No big deal since you can sit at that for awhile, and I still had 5 weeks to go. Dr. Tran conditionally lifted my bed rest restrictions, but told me not to go crazy until I was full term at 37 weeks (yesterday).
At 36 weeks, Dr. Tran checked me and realized I was 2cm already and "ripe and ready to go" she seemed shocked that I had progressed in the week since my last appointment. I went to labor & delivery again a few days later and found out I was 100% effaced and the nurse told me there was a good chance I would be back before my due date with a cervix like mine. Dr. Tran saw me again the next day, since she is out of town all this week, and she wanted to check me again before she left for vacation. When she checked me last Friday, I was a "stretchy 2cm" and she told me she would classify me at 3cm due to this.
At this point, I asked if there was so far in dilation she would let me get to without being in active labor (consistent, intensifying contractions/water breaking) and she told me with as fast as I'm moving (especially as a first time mom), she would put me in the hospital at 4cm. At this point, my water would be broken and if labor didn't start from there, pitocin would be used.
Dr. Tran knows how much I don't want to have that happen, I would prefer labor to progress naturally on its own, but she also knows that she has to do what's best for me and Rylee. She told me to walk as much as possible, have sex, and stimulate my nipples (sorry if TMI) whenever I can, to see if I can get things started on my own. Everything I'm doing to "get Rylee to come" is per my doctor's orders, in order to prevent unwanted medical intervention.
So, don't think I'm trying to rush the end of this pregnancy, but know that if I don't try and I still get to 4cm, the doctors are going to rush it for me. If I do all of this and sit at 3cm for the next 3 weeks, that's perfectly fine, and I'm perfectly happy with that. I just can't allow induction without trying to get it to start naturally.
Hope this clarification helps things make a little more sense.
I know you are anxious- but get some rest too {although I know it is hard to do right now}. And even if they have to use pitocin labor can still kind of happen on its own. I was all the way effaced and 10cm but my water hadn't broken yet so they started pitocin just to make my contractions more regular! It didn't take too long before that for my water to break! Also consider yourself lucky that you are moving that quickly- it def. makes the whole labor thing much better!
ReplyDelete