Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Day 176: Traveling and Teething

So we are back from England, and trying to get adjusted. I was very stressed going into this trip- as I didn't want to be "that" mom that everyone eyeballs while waiting to get on the plane hoping they aren't sitting next to us. Unfortunately, babies sensing stress is so on cue that I probably made it worse for myself, because Rylee was very unsettled the day before we left.

Some tips (I guess) for taking a long flight with a baby:

  • if your baby has a hard time going down for naps or bedtime at home, chances are it will be twice as hard on a plane (especially if your baby loves "talking" and looking around at other people, aka nosy)
  • get a seat for your baby- even if you plan on holding your baby the entire time- the extra space would have been nice
  • bring your own car seat
  • be prepared for overtired meltdowns- if not, you're setting yourself help for a disaster
  • new toys to keep interest are key
  • bring extras of everything- diapers, wipes, food, snacks, etc. you never know when you'll be delayed and need those extras
  • let others help- if a flight attendant wants to hold your baby for a bit- let her! I specify her because I might be a bit uncomfortable if a man offered
  • be prepared to try baby's food when coming home- other countries have different rules than America
I've learned a lot on this trip. I had read so much about baby's just sleeping through flights, because the sounds help them sleep. HA! Not my baby. I was mortified by her screaming on the plane; however, I've realized if your baby doesn't scream the ENTIRE or majority of the flight, you will be approached by several other travelers telling you how wonderful your baby is, and that makes it a lot better. The only time Rylee really slept on a flight was our flight from Atlanta to Tulsa, and that was because our flight was 3 hours delayed and she was completely exhausted! 

However, Rylee got to experience a whole other country and though she won't remember it, she's had the opportunity many other babies her age haven't. She has been to castles, and seen where the Queen lives, and got to see part of her heritage. I can't wait to bring her back when she's older (much, much older). 

She has learned to sit completely up on her own and to catch herself when she starts to fall, except when she goes straight back. She is SO close to crawling, if she could just get her arms going. She's really good at rocking on all fours, and lunging herself forward from being on all fours. She has 4 teeth coming through, and I'm so ready for those suckers to get here. It's been rough, and Rylee has been randomly waking up just screaming bloody murder. She has started to sleep on her side in her crib, and she slept on her back just about our entire trip, which is really odd for her.

I'm ready for all of us to be back on Oklahoma time, because jet lag is rough for oneself, but add a baby's jet lag and it's just plain miserable. I have to get Rylee back on the right time, before I can get myself, since I get up with her. She's close though, even though she tried to get up at 2:30am this morning, but I got her to sleep until 5:30, which is still hard but better than 2:30. 

I'm working on getting her back sleeping in her crib all night, and not bringing her into our bed, now that we are home. Last night went OK, she wasn't thrilled when I put her back in her crib at 1:30 this morning, but she slept there until she woke up this morning, and she's now napping in her crib. 

I need to post pictures, but I think I'm going to nap while Rylee is still down, so I can stay in sync with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment