Thursday, February 3, 2011

Day 38: Finally Home

Woo, it's been awhile since my last post. I've been snowed in at my mom's without internet since Tuesday due to Blizzard 2011! 20" of snow is insane and no fun! Being a refuge at my mom's was good and bad. Good because she cooked and helped me take care of Rylee during the crying spells, bad because I missed my bed and didn't bring enough clothes for 3 days. I didn't think I would be there more than a day at most.

So, Rylee is another week older, and on another formula yet again! The Similac Sensitive was working wonders until Saturday evening, when out of nowhere Rylee became inconsolable for most of the time. This lasted all Saturday night, all Sunday, and all Monday. I lost my mind on Monday. I cried all day with her, and by cry I mean she was wailing and I was uncontrollably sobbing. You might say "LeighAnn, do you have 'baby blues'?" And all I can say to that is sit with a baby crying in obvious tiredness and pain for 2-1/2 days, and see what you do. I felt completely helpless. All I wanted to do is make my baby feel better and nothing I did helped!

When Paul made it home Monday evening, he called the pediatrician. The nurse said it sounds like Rylee has protein sensitivity and/or acid reflux. So Monday night we switched her formula to Similac Alimentum. It has predigested cow milk protein, so that her stomach doesn't have to work as hard to break down the protein. It has proven to help a little bit; however, she HATES the taste of it. You should see the disgusted look on her face after drinking a bottle.

She was still spitting up a lot, crying a lot after a bottle, arching her back, and shaking her head a lot. All of which are signs of reflux. So today, I called the pediatrician back, and we decided to try Zantac for acid reflux. She has yet to spit up or cry after a bottle since we gave her her first two doses. We'll see how it works. I'm hoping with the Alimentum and Zantac that we've found the right combination to a happy baby.

I just need to work on her not fighting sleep at naptime. She tries so hard not to fall asleep during the day, and has gotten to where unless she's being held won't stay asleep. Poor thing was so tired last night she slept for 5 hours (good for mama, though), ate, then slept another 3, ate a little bit more, and slept another 2, and today she even took a four hour nap! Right now, she is asleep in her swing and I don't have the heart to move her to the bed, plus I'm waiting on the laundry in the washing machine to finish up.

Other than that, nothing milestone-wise has happened. We've learned that she loves to do pull-ups into the sitting position (I think that's because the reflux stays down, but who knows), and if you make her "stand" while she's crying she will stop almost instantly. I'm hoping to use the Bumbo more in the next few days and see how she likes it. The few times I've put her in it before, she looked at me like I was crazy, but we will see.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment