Sunday, March 17, 2013

Switching Things Up

So my last post was so very bad, and didn't express things the way I wanted but hopefully I can sit down and type everything out the way I want soon... but until then...

Since Rylee was born, and soon after Paul finding out he had a carcinoma, we have worked hard- but slowly- into switching the way we do things at home. Firstly, we cloth diapered Rylee for the most part. We no longer use fabric softener or dryer sheets. I make my own detergent even. We stick with organic, more natural whole foods whenever possible- we aren't consistently good with this one. We don't use any cleaning chemicals- everything is homemade. And recently we use essential oils for healing ailments- just in the past day we've used lavender oil on burns and headaches. Now for my latest change...

No 'Poo!

Sound crazy?! It just might be! Rylee and I are going to a no shampoo/conditioner regimen, and so far I'm loving it. Shampoo and conditioner is not only expensive, it has a lot of yucky chemicals in it that have been known to cancer! If I can avoid it, I'm going to. So we're going to give it a try. We only wash Rylee's hair about once a week as is, so this isn't going to be a big adjustment for her, but for me there will definitely be a transition period even though I only wash my hair 2-3 times a week.

Basically, I mixed 1 tbsp of baking soda in 1 cup of water to wash our hair and 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar in 1 cup of water to condition it. The first time I did this I used too much ACV and my hair was very oily looking after it dried, but the second time came out pretty perfect. I love how soft my hair felt when I rinsed my hair and can't wait to get through the transition period and see how my hair turns out!

I hope to make many more changes in the products we use around our house in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment