So this morning we had our follow-up with Dr. McDowell from our hospital stay last week. I was confused as to why we had to follow up with him and the neurologist, but now I'm glad we did. He came into the room frazzled and upset, plus Rylee was getting fussy, so I was nervous about how this appointment was going to go.
He told me that the hospital hadn't sent him the test results and he didn't understand why. At that point, he asked us when we had the EEG, when I told him we were there Monday through Wednesday, he gave me an "ummm what?" look. Turns out the neurologist never informed him that he was admitting us for a 48 hour watch, plus all of the other tests that they ran. He had no idea she was ever in the hospital, he had just requested a sleep EEG, nothing further.
So finally, he found her test results and said everything looked great, so he asked me if she had anymore tremors. At that point, I was really upset that nothing said anything about the Zantac. So I let him know what happened and how she hasn't had a tremor since stopping the Z and is sleeping better and is finally releasing her hands from being in fists. He just looked at me like I spoke another language. Obviously, all of this should have been in the reports he was supposed to already have. He looked up some information on Pharmacopeia, and saw where in overdosing Z can cause CNS responses like Rylee was having. However, we were giving her a full milliliter less per day than what her weight should be able to handle.
We talked and determined that she might have an histamine blocker sensitivity. Basically, she'll probably have this reaction with all antacids (H2 blockers) and possibly with allergy meds like Benadryl and Claritin (H1 blockers). Dr. McDowell added all of the information to her chart and is reporting her case to a post-market drug agency for research and analysis. He was sad and upset that she went through what she did, but said that this will help him with future patients because in all of his years of practice he's never seen or heard this.
Paul was worried about the reliability (for lack of a better word) of Dr. McDowell but his actions and concerns today proved to me how good of a doctor he is. I have a feeling he will be contacting Dr. Miller's (the neuro) office about the lack of communication. He was sincerely happy she was OK and sad she went through all of those tests without his knowledge or request.
I have cancelled our follow up appointment with Dr. Miller, because honestly I have a feeling he would try to run more tests on her for no reason and I don't want to or need to deal with that. Besides, Dr. McDowell said that I couldn't have gotten a better report so what's the point in my opinion?
Oh, she's 14.5lbs and 24-3/4" long! Getting so big! She will have her official 4 month check up next Thursday. I'm just happy that this is over and my little girl is OK. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers! We are so thankful to each and every one of you that thought about Rylee during this hard time for us, and believe it was the grace of God that the nurses forgot to give her the Zantac so that we could realize what the real issue was.
No comments:
Post a Comment